Saturday, February 9, 2013

Pa de llet

Pa de llet with sunflower seeds
WORTH THE EFFORT 
BREAKFAST,LUNCH,SNACK
CAN BE FROZEN
Hands on & cooking time 2 hours

It really isn´t as hard as you may think making your own Pa de llet.I am still mastering how to get a good shaped roll and I like experimenting with different toppings, I love poppy seeds but my daughter and husband like sunflower seeds the best.(without salt) I make these with my daughter she helps me knead the dough.  I have no machine, we do everything by hand. These are great for breakfast with a little jam, for an after school snack or in the lunchbox with cheese spreed. I make about 10 rolls and freeze some.  You need to eat them on the same day or the following morning.



I have tried many different recipes for Pa de llet this one works best for me - I always use fresh yeast.











INGREDIENTS

100 ml (4fl oz) milk lukewarm
225g (8oz) strong white bread flour,plus extra for dusting
12g (half) of fresh yeast - as above
40g (1 1/2 oz) butter, melted and cooled
4tsp caster sugar
1 medium free range egg, beaten plus 1 egg yolk mixed with 2 tsp cold water for glazing
poppy,sunflower or sesame seeds to sprinkle
1 or 2 lightly oiled baking sheets

METHOD

Bring the milk to boil then turn off and allow to cool. When lukewarm dissolve the yeast in the milk. Mix together the flour with a little salt add the melted butter,sugar,egg and almost all of the milk with yeast. (you do not always need all the milk depends on the size of the egg.) Mix with your hands or spoon until the dough is soft.  Tip the dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for at least 10 minutes,http://allrecipes.com/video/36/how-to-knead-dough/detail.aspx until the dough is elastic. Leave to rise for at least an hour in an oiled bowl covered with clingfilm until doubled in size. When risen (push your thumb in the centre the dough should spring back) knead for another minute on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 10 pieces, shapes the dough into small knots, first roll into a sausage shape then gently tying it. Transfer to the baking sheet and leave for about 30 minutes under clingfilm until doubled in size.  Heat the oven to 200·C. Brush the rolls with the egg glaze, sprinkle with seeds. Bake for about 20 minutes until risen.



No comments:

Post a Comment