Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Courgette and chocolate muffins

Courgette and chocolate muffins
EASY
SNACK, LUNCHBOX PARTY

Prep & cooking time 1 hour








These are lovely and chocolaty you would never guess they have courgette in them.  I put a good quality cocoa powder in mine and they are quite fudgey too.  Like almost all of my baking and cooking I make these with my daughter.  She helps me grate the courgette so it´s no secret to her the ingredients and yet she never normally eats courgette. I take the skin off the courgette so there are no ¨green bits¨, but you can leave it on if you wish.  Courgette has no strong flavour it helps to make the cakes lovely and moist. My daughter and husband love these and my neighbours!

No trace of the courgette inside the cakes..it´s a secret.














INGREDIENTS 

225 g grated courgette (zucchini)  washed with or without skin
130 g flour
45 g  cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
handful  of chocolate chips
2 large eggs (free range room temperature)
120 ml vegetable, or sunflower oil
100 g white sugar
105 g brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

METHOD 
Preheat the oven to 180 C. Wash (peel if you wish) and grate the courgette with a medium sized grater. Sieve the flour,baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Add the salt and chocolate chips.
In another large bowl whisk the eggs, add the oil ,sugars and vanilla extract and whisk together well by hand or if you have a mixer. Fold in the courgette then fold everything into the flour mixture. (don´t over mix)
Scrape the batter into your baking pan.  For individual muffins they take about 20 mins to cook, I also use this to fill a small loaf tin and 12 small individual cakes which I freeze. Bake until risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.  The loaf pan takes longer about 55 mins.
Leave to cool for 10 minutes before removing the cakes.  I sprinkle mine with icing sugar to make them look pretty.

I have tried a few alternatives with courgette including a savoury with Parmesan, which I loved but my husband and daughter didn´t like at all !!  I have to admit this is not my own recipe it was stolen from
There is a video here too which is useful.   


DON´T FORGET TO BLOG YOUR COMMENTS...LET ME KNOW HOW YOURS TURN OUT !

1 comment:

  1. Hi Faye,
    Thanks for your comments in my blog.
    Your blog is quite interesting. It is funny how you mix Catalan and English food, love it!
    I added your blog in my reading blog list :-)
    End of JAnuary is my little one birthday and I am looking for a bit of inspiration with his birthday cake so if you are thinking of baking a cake it would be great if you share it with us.

    ReplyDelete