Thursday, October 11, 2012

Butifarra Scotch eggs

Butifarra Scotch eggs
A LITTLE EFFORT - but worth it! 
LUNCH, DINNER,PICNIC

Prep & Cooking time 30-40 mins

Scotch eggs are pretty rectro and very English. I love to try and combine Catalan cuisine with British (to please everyone in the family !!) These are a perfect alternative way to use Butifarras - the typical Catalan sausage.  I buy the best quality meat I can directly from the Butchers in our local market. I serve these for a light dinner with salad, when made with quails eggs they are the perfect size and also ideal for picnics.



Ingredients
makes 9 scotch eggs

2  large Butifarra sausages (with mushrooms or Roquefort added to meat)     
9 quail eggs
1 free range egg beaten
granary bread crumbs / white breadcrumbs 
grated Parmesan cheese
olive oil to spray
a little flour

**TIP** I use my own breadcrumbs which I make from crusts or stale bread (good quality bread) I freeze the breadcrumbs in a bag and always have them to hand for cooking, you can use them directly from the freezer **

Good quality Butifarras
Quail eggs


 









Method

Boil the quail eggs for 2 minutes, then plunge into cold water. Tap, roll and gently peel the shells.
Cut open the Butifarras and flatten a small piece of meat on a surface, place the egg in the centre then carefully shape the meat around the egg. (with floured hands). Coat well with the beaten egg, then roll in breadcrumbs.  Depending on the flavour sausage - I roll the Roquefort sausage into granary breadcrumbs and the mushroom into white breadcrumbs with a little Parmesan added. Pop them into the fridge until needed. I don´t like to fry any food or use excess oil, so I spray these with a little olive, place on a baking tray with parchment and cook for 20 mins at 180´.

 The link below shows you how to assemble scotch eggs - it´s a little different to my method but may help.
 http://www.jamieoliver.com/videos/771/v


Butifarra Scotch eggs with cucumber and mozzarella.



No comments:

Post a Comment