Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Que tens avui? -school snacks


WHOLEMEAL BREAD STICKS & YELLOW KIWI
SNACKS
LUNCHBOX














My daughter attends a public school here in our town.(near Barcelona) Everyday I pack her carmonyola (lunchbox) with a healthy snack which she eats around 10.30.

We always eat a good breakfast (- read further Breakfast like a king, ) therefore she only needs a small snack.

My daughter is a creature of habit (as we all are) she is happy with her fruit but she also loves to tell me that she eats her friends chocolate biscuits (she wouldn´t be a normal child if she didn´t like chocolate biscuits!)  Her lunchbox always comes back empty so no need to change our habits.  Everyday she is given something different, fruit (fresh is better) sometimes dried fruit and I try to put a little something she can share with her friends - if they are interested! Once a week she has a homemade cake.

I believe in order for our bodies to get the maximum benefit of eating fruit it should be eaten on an empty stomach at any time during the day but better mainly before noon. Which is why I feed my daughter fruit for  breakfast and mid morning snacks.  (as well as the afternoon)  Fruit is digested in the intestine and not in the stomach. It is also rapidly digested and goes through the digestive system in around half an hour. The brain runs on glucose and fruit is the most efficient source of blood sugar, hence better concentration .

EAT WELL - DO WELL.
Unfortunately my daughters school does not have a ¨no sugar policy¨ neither did they seem very receptive when I suggested a fruit day prior to my daughter starting the school. Parents can fill lunchboxes with whatever they desire. Chocolate Principe biscuits and Nutella Bimbo sandwiches are very popular.
Fabricated snacks (including Bimbo bread!!) contain E numbers which are known to be associated with problematic behaviour in children together with risks of allergic reactions, such as asthma and breathing problems.
http://www.exploreenumbers.co.uk/e-numbers-and-childrens-behaviour.html

I choose to try and limit the fabricated snacks to a minimal and try to provide food that has nutritional value.
Here are some ideas for school snacks.  The cakes and bread rolls I normally put in the lunchbox frozen by snack time they are ready to eat and not too hot and sticky.


                RASPBERRY CUPCAKE & DRIED FRUIT

More ideas:

Pumpkin seeds (ready to eat) hulled

Seedless Grapes - From Mercanda or Al Campo

Banana

Clementine / Mandarins

Dried Apricot
              DRIED BANANA & CARROT CUPCAKE



  Homemade briox - see my   recipe

 ALL THESE SNACK IDEAS ARE ALSO GREAT TO HAVE AS HANDY HANDBAG TREATS TOO!





                   DRIED CRANBERRIES    &  A PLUM


             GRANARY ROLL WITH SOFT CHEESE

















    
               ROASTED ALMONDS  &   A PEAR
















WALNUTS      &        PLUMS












HOMEMADE LEMON NUMBER BISCUITS












MIXED SEEDLESS GRAPES & ALMOND



What do you give your child for school snacks?
Does your child's school have a fruit day?
What´s your opinion on fabricated snacks?

3 comments:

  1. All look delicious and I bet she is the envy of some kids. My kids don't do morning snacks at school as you know, but they have an afternoon snack at end of day and are happy with half a wholemeal bread sandwich each and maybe some fruit. (If I buy white, I get Bimbo natural -100% free of additives).
    Last year their school had a fruit day once a week introduced by council (I think), where school provided different fruit for kids as a anack and discuss benefits- included nuts. Didn't you have that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I´m sure your kids are the only ones with a wholemeal sandwich (as my daughter is at her school). I have never seen local kids eat wholemeal or ¨brown¨bread? (I will shortly be adding a blog regarding sandwiches and fillings - named "What no Nutella!" Good idea about the Bimbo natural bread it sure beats the 6 E numbers in the normal bimbo bread! thanks X

      Delete
    2. Interesting about the Fruit day at your kids school, I know nothing about this ? But I will investigate. It would also be a good idea for the kids to do a tasting class and to be told like you say the benefits of when to eat it and why.

      Delete